As a Palestinian, people usually asks me what is Palestine and how we live there. The conflict in the middle east is a very long one and going into the details of that conflict is a very complicated thing. I believe that you can get a PhD studying it and still don’t fully understand what’s going on there. So I wrote this short blog to make things easier to explain. I’m not going into the details of history nor politics because I’m neither a historian nor a politician. I’m just another a Palestinian who live a typical Palestinian life and that’s what I’m going to write about here.
First, since we (Palestinians) don’t have officially a country yet that means there is no such thing called Palestine. Yes, Palestine is just another fictional country name from novels and old stories. If Palestine is just a fictional country then anyone can claim that he/she is a citizen of that country. But as always the case with legends there are some requirements first before you get your citizenship. These requirements are:
- You or your ancestors own virtual land on the virtual country called Palestine.
- You born in some palace other than the fictional country Palestine, but in some magical way your parents or one of them or grandparents were porn there.
- You have all the human rights except any human right given to people in real countries.
So if you meet all the above criteria, congratulations you’re now officially a Palestinian. But as always being said “with great power comes great responsibilities”. Now as a Palestinian you have to deal with the following things.
- The citizenship is for lifetime for you and your children; you can’t gave up your citizenship.
- You can have any other real citizenship. But the Palestinian citizenship always comes first; you are Palestinian first then you’re treated as a citizen of the other country.
- In every airport or checkpoint you will be selected for “random security check”; simile you’re a celebrity now!
- If you are only holding a Palestinian citizenship, don’t bother yourself for looking for your country name in any official form you fill outside Palestine (the virtual country which doesn’t exists).
But wait a minute, don’t understand me wrong! not everything of being a Palestinian is bad! There few great things that made Palestinian survive!
- Failure is not an option, it is a choice that Palestinians will never choose. If something didn’t work out try again and again one million time until you achieve your goal. Palestinians have been working hard to get their basic human rights for more than 60 years, and they got almost nothing so far but they didn’t let anything stop them from trying again.
- Skye is the limit for your dream. Don’t get me wrong when I say dreams, Palestinian don’t just dream they always push them selves to the limit to make things seems to be impossible happen. Just go to any of the Palestinian refugee camps and see what the great things that people are doing there just to survive through the tough life they are living.
- Hope Hope Hope…. one million time, no matter how hard today is you will see a big smile on the Palestinians faces and they will assure you that tomorrow is going to be a better day despite how dark it looks like from today’s eye. It’s not hope built no just dreams, no it’s hope because Palestinian chose not to fail and they will try and tray until they make tomorrow a better day for everyone.
And many other things that made this great people survive through history.
This is simply the legend of Palestine …